Author Topic: Walking on a lead  (Read 2746 times)

Offline abzy0309

Walking on a lead
« on: October 01, 2013, 07:50:13 PM »
Advice please COL experts....

Reggie loves going for a walk but has started pulling like mad. I've watched a few videos on training tips, and done my research but it's not really paying off. He has a lead and collar.

Abbie & Reggie

Offline lindsmat

Re: Walking on a lead
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 01:24:59 PM »
hi, i have the same problems with my 5 month pup. i have tried stopping when she pulls, for over 3 weeks, doesnt seem to help. from monday i have been trying the reverse walking technique, when pup pulls then change direction. yesturday i had her walking next to me . it wasnt for long, just about 6 strides , but thats the best she has done  and only started it monday. i think different technques suit different dogs, but i would definitely give that a go. ill let you know how i gettingon

Offline janek

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 01:33:02 PM »
I have the same with my 5 month , we do the same ,reverse walk and wait and sit before starting off again ,although i would say she pulls more on the way home this i think is down to her being a little nervous even though she was socialized from 11 weeks when we had her ,im just going to keep changing routs and reassuring i will be interested to hear how you get on with your pup i may be learn some thing
Janek

Offline Macette

• Lexi
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 01:42:32 PM »
I had the same trouble ....tried non pull harness, tried stopping, have resorted to Halti and it's great, now it's a pleasure walking again. If you get one make sure it's a good fit. Size 1 was to loose and she was able to get it in her mouth so went down to size 0 fits nice and neat she can still open her mouth to pant. Must say I am very happy and it took 3 minutes walking for her to get use to it. Good luck :)

Offline lindsmat

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 02:15:59 PM »
this is just a quick message just to say that i have just taken brandy out for some training. i have changed where i take her, the streets were of too much distraction, took her somewhere quiet. she done even better today with her reverse walking. ok it only about 8 or ten steps but its still better than yesturday, i kept treating her when she was next to me.

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 04:00:21 PM »
Thanks everyone.... I'm going to give the reverse walking a try... What do you treat with? Kibble?  :D

Abbie & Reggie

Offline lindsmat

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 06:12:32 PM »
yes sometimes, because i treat her quite a bit while we doing this, using other treats can be expensive, so i use kibble mostly, but sometimes like today i used treats that i bought x x

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 08:23:05 PM »
I was thinking of that, also thought that as treating a lot you have to limit how many you have don't you!

Abbie & Reggie

Offline JamiesGirl

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 02:51:46 AM »
There's a really really good post on here somewhere - im sure it was from Karma? with a step by step guide to lead walking using a clicker - i will try and find it for you.
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾

Offline JamiesGirl

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 02:52:44 AM »
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 05:00:14 PM »
Thank you!!! Sounds def worth a try!

Abbie & Reggie

Offline lindsmat

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 01:06:16 PM »
hi, just thought i would give an update on training brandy to not pull. last week i decided to do the reverse walkng method . at first practised down my road but found it frustrating as brandy pulls so much i never got past the third house and ended up not giving her much of a walk. so after a couple of days i thought the best plan was to take her somewhere i can let her run around on an extended lead first to give her exercise and to tire her out slightly then to do some training on lead.  i done 20 minutes run then changed from her extended lead to normal one and practised reverse walking for 20 minutes. everytime she pulled i turned direction, she then was behind me and when she caught up with me i gave her treats. on second day of doing this she walked by my side for 10 steps, now i know it doesnt seem much but thats the most she had ever done. next day it was 26 steps, next day it was 35 steps. and today i just took her out down my road,on normal lead and she walked without pulling half way up my road and back. thats the best she has ever done. i am really pleased with her. up until now i thought we were getting nowhere, she pulls really hard. i just thought i would put my progress on here as it might help you.

Offline lilliegez

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 01:57:15 PM »
im still working on maisies walking she is 7 months nearly and pretty much a nightmare pulls like a train.  she has been going training every week also.  I have tried stopping changing direction etc.  I have a gentle leader for her and although I have put it on her and tried to make it a nice experience by giving her treats and playing with her, she hates it and just refuses to walk on it.  Its odd because I also got her a dog games fleece harness which is lovely and comfy but she also hates wearing that.  This week she hurt her throat from pulling on lead and I had to take her to the vet.  I am not sure what to try next as now im worried about her pulling and causing damage to herself.  I don't understand why she hates her harness so much she just stand still, puts her head down and looks so sad with it on.  I am looking for ways to overcome this, anyone have any tips.  thanks.

Offline lindsmat

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 02:25:49 PM »
hi, i not an expert im afraid, but what about putting harness on and extendable lead and taking her somewhere where she can just run about, this might take her mind off the harness and get her use to it a bit more. x x

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 03:57:40 PM »
Changing direction seems to be working with us... Or stopping and sitting, then going again.. (If I've got somewhere I actually want to go)

Abbie & Reggie