Author Topic: Never off-lead U/D on long line  (Read 6170 times)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
Re: Never off-lead
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 09:21:12 AM »
I sympathise with you...I was terrified of letting Chloe off the lead but was persuaded by a friend that she would, in all liklihood, not run away too far as she wouldn't want to lose sight of me. The first time she went off was on a huge sandy beach that was almost deserted and it was pure joy to watch her.  She didn't go very far from my side at first, but then got braver and braver and charged around like something demented. I kept calling her back every few minutes and put the lead back on her for a little while - all the things everyone else on here has said work well. This was only 2 weeks ago; now I let her off anywhere there's no livestock or traffic and watching her running free is the most wonderful thing in the world. My big problem is getting her to walk nicely ON the lead and teaching her that cars are dangerous...she would just launch herself at them given half the chance!
Good luck...once you've taken the plunge you'll always want to find opportunities to let her off!

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 10:53:15 AM »
He was great. We just walked along the path and he ran a little way ahead, then stopped and waited for us. The most scary thing that happened though is there was a steep bank into the lake (which was thankfully quite shallow) and he leapt in. My dad had to go in and get him out before he went out into deeper water. So now, he's going on lead by the lake. :) Other than that, he was very good, came when we called and behaved very well with runners, cyclists, and other dogs. Now, got to do it in the local park which has open exits to roads. ARRGHHH!!!

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 10:58:25 AM »
thats great  :D

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 11:43:40 AM »
brilliant....really pleased for both of you!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 11:46:01 AM »
Well done that's great!  :D  It's lovely to see them running off lead and really enjoying themselves isn't it  :D
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline PennyB

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2008, 11:46:48 AM »
Great news --- I trained mine walking along the taff trail where bikes/horses sometimes speed by so I would recall them to sit by my side then give a treat when hazard had gone. There are lots of other hazards there as well but practise makes perfect and don't get complacent though --- even if you think they've got it keep testing every now and then.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Han

• Darling Darcey
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 11:48:09 AM »
Yay well done  ;)

x

Offline Cath

• Site Member
  • Breagh
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 10:30:31 PM »
Yeah well done, you have had some great advice here on recall, as Penny B said, keep testing it though. Enjoy.

Murron

Nothing beats the unconditional love of our doey eyed spaniels.
Cath, Breagh, Caoimhe and my angel at the bridge Milly.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 10:37:19 PM »
Recall can work even better if you use a whistle. If you do a search on here you will find plenty of threads telling how to introduce and use one.  :shades:

Here's one
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=45326.0

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2008, 06:47:18 AM »
Thanks. I quite like the idea of using a whistle, cos the sound travels far and the command always stays the same. Do you know where I could buy a whistle from?

Offline PennyB

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2008, 08:20:07 AM »
Thanks. I quite like the idea of using a whistle, cos the sound travels far and the command always stays the same. Do you know where I could buy a whistle from?

Gunshop or online --- acme 210-1/2 is one of the ones many use (I also bought a lanyard with mine so I know where it is).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2008, 01:30:45 PM »
We took ours off lead for the first time around other dogs who were with us and who they were both used too.
I was always worrying about Honey - unsure why. They are both great, i still worry now and heart flutters as Honey loves to find other dogs and play with them. Alfie's re-call goes out the window when he see's a football or seagulls. Although he always returns.
We are yet to purchase a whistle, but i usually take dog treats out with me and this encourages them back, we used the command "come" and it usually does the trick!!

Keep up with it, good luck!!!
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008, 01:32:37 PM »
Shouldn't he be better trained before he goes off-lead? He does not have a recall really, so he's danger to himself.

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 02:03:18 PM »
I was terrified before letting marty off lead for the first time (hes 15 weeks) and that was only last week! I posted on another thread about how worried i was about it, and i  was wayyy more nervous letting him off than he was, he came back no problem when i called him and hes not that well  trained at recall but hes getting a lot better now im not so worried, its sooo much fun letting him off the lead and having him run between the two of us.

I took cheese or hot dogs cut into small pieces with me, so that he could smell them and he came running back when he knew i had them  ( i was calling his name really excitedly aswel)
So trust me,its so scary letting them off but i'm sure he'll come running back!

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2008, 06:48:54 PM »
arrgh!  Chloe ran away this morning! After me being so smug about her always coming back! We were on a fairly remote glen path and she'd come back to the whistle half a dozen times...then finally decided to take off into the heather and bracken and must have travelled quarter a mile (it was a case of now you see me, now you don't, as she jumped through the undergrowth all the way down to a river in full spate.....) By the time I caught up with her, I was knee deep in peat bog and vowing to never let her off the lead again! Perhpas I should start this as a new post, cos I really need some reasurance/help now! Is it just her working background....she's never happier than whilst charging around in undergrowth...presumably like her Mum and Dad before her who were both gun dogs!